Chicken Pot Pie Cavatappi Recipe
Looking for a new family-friendly dinner idea that’s quick and easy too? The whole family will love this chicken pot pie cavatappi recipe.
This recipe takes the delicious taste of chicken pot pie but puts in over cavatappi, that’s the swirly pasta. It’s a delicious meal that can be ready to serve in 30 minutes or less! It’s the perfect easy noodle dinner recipe.
Just want to print the recipe card? Scroll to the bottom to print it out.
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream (you can also use milk if you prefer)
- frozen mixed vegetables
- shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- cavatappi pasta
How to make chicken pot pie pasta
This recipe can be made in 30 minutes or less, provided you have chicken already cooked. A rotisserie chicken works great or you can cook chicken in a crockpot.
A crockpot is great because you can cook up a large amount of chicken and then use it in various recipes throughout the week. You can also freeze it for later!
1 – Put a pot on to boil and cook the pasta according to the package. You may want to stop just short of al dente as the pasta will cook a bit more once it’s mixed with the sauce
I like to use the swirly cavatappi pasta but you can sub in whatever pasta you enjoy, or use whatever you have on hand.
2 – Now, you’ll want to shred that chicken. You can use a mix of light and dark meat or all light meat if you prefer. I used about 2 cups of chicken.
3 – Put a sauce pan on the stovetop on medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Once melted add the garlic and allow to cook for about 1 minute. (I like to use jarred minced garlic to speed things along, it’s one of my kitchen essentials.)
4 – Next, mix cornstarch with cold broth (or cold water) to create a slurry. Add the cornstarch and remaining broth to the pan and whisk together.
5 – Whisk in the heavy cream and bring the mixture to a low boil.
If you use regular milk you may need to use more cornstarch to thicken your dish.
6 – Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken and can coat the back of a spoon.
7 – Add in the vegetables followed by the chicken and salt and pepper. Mix together well.
8 – Add the pasta and allow everything to cook for several minutes so all the flavors can mix together. If you like you can top with a bit more pepper before serving.
Now you’re ready for dinner. You don’t even have to make any sides since there are vegetables right in the dish!
Not in the mood for pasta? You can also serve the mixture over top of biscuits for a dish that’s closer to the traditional chicken pot pie.
Love quick pasta dishes? Try our One Pot Goulash recipe.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 16oz cavatappi pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp pepper
- Boil pasta until slightly short of al dente
- Shred 2 cups of chicken
- Put a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted add the garlic an allow it to cook for 1 minute
- Mix a little cornstarch with cold broth to make a slurry.
- Add the cornstarch mix and remaining broth to the pan and whisk together
- Add in the heavy cream and whisk together
- Bring the mixture to a low boil then reduce heat to low
- One the sauce begins to thicken (can coat the back of a spoon) add in the vegetables followed by the chicken and salt and pepper
- Add the pasta and allow to heat for a few minutes so the flavors can mix.