The month of January was so slow but February is here and in full swing. This only means one thing, Mardi Gras is right around the corner. In celebration of Mardi Gras, I have an awesome recipe for you that you’re going to love. These Festive Mardi Gras Layered Jello Shots are just what you need for this large celebration.
I love making jello shots for parties or picnics because they’re budget-friendly and just so much fun to have on hand. You’ll find that these jello shots are an adult crowd pleaser.
Mardi Gras Jello Shots
Mardi Gras is well known in the USA as being a day to celebrate. It’s always the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is also a French word that translates into Fat Tuesday. Many of us have had some experience with Fat Tuesday.
This recipe is helping us celebrate in a different way! Layered jello shots are a great way to ring in this fabulous celebration with family and friends. If you have never indulged in jello shots like this, then this is the ideal recipe to get you started.
Layered Jello Shots
Layered jello shots are an awesome way to celebrate Mardi Gras. Layering these jello shots isn’t difficult and I actually think it’s quite fun. While layering does take a little more thought, it’s still easy enough that you can make these jello shots in no time.
Once you get the idea behind the jello shots down, you can also use the layering technique on other jello shots, not just Mardi Gras themed. There has never been a party that anyone has complained about having these at.
Jello shots are pretty simple to make so you’ll only need a few items.
- 3 boxes (4 packets each) of clear unflavored gelatin
- Purple gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- Gold gel food coloring
- 1/4 cup Malibu Rum
- Whipped topping
- 1 tsp cinnamon or fine gold sprinkle topping
- 20 2oz plastic shot glasses
Create your jello shots
To create these beautiful layered jello shots you’ll need to create one color of jello at a time.
1 – Make one packet of gelatin according to the package directions. You should end up with about 2 cups of liquid. Add 2 drops of food coloring in desired color.
2 – Repeat for the other 2 colors
3 – For one layer, replace 1/4 cup of water with 1/4 cup of malibu rum. (You can do this for each layer if you want stronger shots)
4 – Once the final layer is set top with whipped topping and a dusting of cinnamon or fine gold sugar topping if you’re feeling fancy.
These Mardi Gras jello shots are super versatile. You can use more liquor, or even use various types of liquors.
If you want to add flavor you can use flavored jello for one of the layers, for instance you can make the yellow layer with Pineapple Jello instead of the unflavored kind.
Purple and Gold Jello Shots
Why the purple and gold? Well, Mardi Gras is most recognized by these colors. I also love the colors and think that they fit really well together. Mardi Gras Jello Shots shouldn’t be difficult to make and this recipe proves it.
Celebrate Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday with the help of these festive jello shots. If you’ve never had a shot like this before, I think you’re going to find them simple to make and enjoyable for indulging.
Don’t keep this recipe for jello shots all to yourself. Share them with friends and family. You could also make a non-alcoholic version that is kid-friendly by leaving out the Malibu Rum. (I’d definitely use some flavored jello if you’re making the non-alcoholic type.)
What’s your favorite part of celebrating Mardi Gras? I’d love to hear about how you enjoy celebrating with friends and family.
- 3 boxes - 4 packets each of clear unflavored gelatin
- 2 drops purple food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 2 drops gold food coloring
- 1/4 cup Malibu Rum (see notes in recipe)
- whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20 2oz plastic shot glasses
1. Make one package of clear unflavored gelatin as directed at a time. Start with the color you'd like. For one of the packages replace 1/4 cup of water for 1/4 cup of Malibu rum. This can be done for each package if you would like stronger jello shots.
2. Here we started with yellow. Let set in the fridge after adding to each cup for about 2 hours or until set.
3. Then add the next color. Let set. Repeat with the last color. Let set.
4. Top with whipped topping and cinnamon or edible glitter.
- You may also replace the rum with any other liquor you'd like. Each one can be a different liquor flavor because the clear gelatin is flavorless.
- You should have about 2 cups of liquid total for each color.
- If you want more flavor you can use flavored jello for any of the layers if you prefer.